Saturday, March 03, 2007

A NEW PLACE TO LAY MY HEAD

I'm moving. I'm going to gather up all my shit from the apartment (see snapshot) in which I have lived for the last three or so years and I'm going to take my balls and I'm going to go home. My new home will be my grandmother's old home. She doesn't live there anymore. She now resides in an assisted living center, at which they take good care of her and she has--I assume--some acquaintances.

I will feel, I think, like a hermit crab, in a way, shucking my old shell and moving to live in a another's. The rent that I will pay to my parents is basically the rent that I pay now (with the addition of the gas bill) and the payments shall go towards balancing Grandma's exorbitant fee for living in a place that provides 24-hour care.

I met my mom at my soon-to-be-new-digs, today, and we had a meeting with a couple of women who are going to paint the formerly off-pink bedroom into a more manly color. Like apricot. Joking. It's going to be biege. And I'm having them paint the bathroom, as well. That, too, is an off-pink color and, as Pink Floyd once sang, "That. Will. Not. Do!"

I have mixed emotions about the move. I am quite glad, obviously, to move out of my apartment, although it is a nice one, and move into a three-level home with a fenced-in backyard. Lou is doing cartwheels, too. I look forward to having more room to move around and more privacy. [As an ancillary note, if I hear, like my old neighbors, my newer neighbors making hyena-like love, replete with "Fuck me! Fuck me!" outbursts, that would mean that they were way too loud. I mean, way too loud. Also, considering that one of my neighbors is my grandmother's age...forget it, it's too early in the day for that thought process. Actually, any time of the day is too early for that thought process.]

So, hell yeah, I'm glad to have this opportunity.

Here is the flip-side of the dollar bill: It comes at a cost. The only reason I am able to move into the house is because Grandma ain't doing so well; she can't make it on her own, anymore. And, obviously, that makes me sorta wistful. Wistful for the old days. Wistful for times when my loved ones were still strong and fit and not feeling as acutely the ravages of time. I know, I know. Time moves along. The clock is always ticking. We're not here for a long time so we better damned well make it a good time. I know all of that, intellectually. It's the emotional side of life that has a penchant for biting me in the ass.

So we were there, and I was choosing paint colors for the two rooms, and the essence of Grandma and Grandad really swam over me. I could see, in my mind, the ghost-image of Grandad, at the kitchen counter, sitting on the high bar-stool-like chairs and expounding upon some point that he is making, sometimes stuttering, spittle sometimes flying, the ashes on his omnipresent cigarettes growing longer and longer until, with an expressive hand gesture, they fall to the floor. I could see, in my mind, Grandma, down in the basement, playing Ping-Pong, at age 80, serving the ball with that wicked spin that she so aptly employed.

I walked up into the attic and I breathed in the smell of Grandparent. Not musty, not offensive in any way--just Grandparent. The wall was lined with books and the old broken Zenith was against the far wall and Grandad's fossil and rock collections lay, as they have for 20 years, under dusty glass in the corner of the room. I walked across the room in which my uncle had slept as a boy, and I looked on the dusty desk and I saw the medals that Grandad had won as a roller skater back in the 1940s and '50s. Still in place under the glass, they forcibly brought to me the passage of time and the memories that get lost, sometimes.

I went back downstairs and into the basement and saw the Ping-Pong table, at which many games were played and many great shots were made. I looked at the south wall of the basement and took in the pock marks made from Grandad practicing with his blow-dart gun. I remembered the targets he used to put up and I remember how once, when going for accuracy, he shot one dart and then followed it up with another dart right in the center of the first. He had saved it, for a bit, displayed it with pride. He was also proud of the time when he had someone bounce a Ping-Pong ball and he shot it dead through the center, catching it in mid-bounce.

I went back upstairs.

"Yeah," I said to Tara the painter, "I'd like the bathroom painted in 'Alpaca Gray.'"

"Alpaca Gray," you see, goes well with the sepia-toned ghostly memories that will surround me the first week or so that I live, feeling like an interloper, there on Harwood Street.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Ditch the interloper feeling, seriously. Please look at how wonderful it is that you're defraying Grandmas's assisted living care. And giving Lou a place to run. And giving yourself a house. A house!

I can definitely understand how you're feeling. Not only is it choosing new paint colors, but it's packing up and moving Gramma and Granddad's stuff. The ping-pong table, the dart holes (which stay), the furniture Granddad crafted, the photo albums, the coffee mugs, the fossil collection, the bookshelves ... it's everything. It's you moving in means Gramma won't be moving back.

But Adam, please embrace it. You know Gramma. She may not be pleased with not moving back herself, but she'd crown you if you didn't move in.

Love you, and will help move your stuff,

Melissa xoxo

Adamity73 said...

"Crown me." What an expression! Wouldn't that be a *good* thing, dear sister; would it not imply that I was royalty of some sort?

[yeah, a royal pain in the ass, someone whispers]

I am embracing it. I actually can't wait to get in there. "Interloper" might have been a bit harsh. But the place will have, I suspect, a palpably ghostly feel, for the first few 24 hours, and I also suspect that I'll be doing a little Grandparent Dreaming. Again, I look forward to that, too.

Lou's gonna love it and I'm gonna love it.

BTW, the Ping-Pong table will *definitely* stay.

I'm planning on doing most of the heavy moving on Saturday, the 10th--be ye available? As I believe in equal gender rights, you'll be doing the brunt of the hump-work, okay?

=)

Nanette said...

Hold on to your memories and be thankful for your opportunity.

The circle of life stinks for sure, but...it is what it is.

Chin up! :D

Noelley said...

I think it'll be wonderful, and Louie will definitely love the yard!

Any new place is going to feel weird at first. It usually takes me a full year before I start feeling like it's my place. I'm glad you have lots of happy memories of your grandparents and that house.

Adamity73 said...

I'm holding and I'm thankful, Nighthawk. The chin *is* up--I feel damned good--but it is a bit sad, sometimes. But, you're right: Life is cyclical and it is what it is.

I CAN'T WAIT! But, shit, I's gots ta do some packin'! =(

Adamity73 said...

Hi, Ephie! I just commented on your Flickr site, asking a question about if people make gum from the sweetgum (sweet gum) trees! Long time no think! =)

Louie is going to be in DOGGY HEAVEN--that's fo' sho! He's going to tear the hell outaa the yard, but, oh well--anything for my boy! (Except for attention, never that! ;-P)

Many memories and, yes, it'll take a bit of adjustment. But, shit, I think, down the road, I may even want to buy the house. In fact, I'd say that it's a 76.8% chance that I will try to buy the house. Something to which to look forward. (Damn. Grammatically-correct sentence, but awkward as hell.)

Anonymous said...

Damn! Bawling like a baby here, "one and only". That place was my fucking HOME! That's the gold standard for every other place I've lived in since I left 35 years ago. I've crafted places better suited to me but when all is said and done, that was home. I left Michigan in search of "home" .. went to NYC, went to SF, looking, looking. I finally found it out here in the Bay Area, mostly redefined. But I gave up lots in that redefinition and many of the things lost are still longed for. Hardly anything is for free, no?

Jump. In Nicaragua, after the Sandinista revolution in 1979, the people who fought the US-backed Army of Somosa house-to-house to take back their dignity and their lives, who lived through massacres at the local schoolyards and markets, they reclaimed those places of evil. They made them into parks, and local medical centers, and seed distribution outlets. They reclaimed the places, changed their names, changed their energy. Brilliant.

And so, you Adam, get to change this old space that sheltered your grandparents, your mother, your uncle, into something completely your own. The ghosts will welcome you ... a long needed breath of fresh air! A chance to re-make this 1950 construction a tool of your life, your vision, your purpose. The ghosts will embrace you. They, like we, are just temporary stewards of a place. They aren't gone ... they really have created a stake ... but they are minor voices cheering on the next comer... and that be you. Hope it works for you.

Adamity73 said...

It will *work* for me, Uncle Gummy; it will. Nicely-phrased, by the way. The ghosts will welcome me, the ghosts will embrace me...and I, them. I'm looking forward to primping my nest, to furnishing my burrow.

And, yes, this is an emotional move on many levels. :-) Both good and bittersweet.

littlemissy555 said...

Adam, I am happy for you and Louie for this opportunity! I am sure that the memories will wash over you from time to time, just as they should. Be thankful, as I know you are, that you are the one who will get to be with your grandparents things...that is always special. I would also like to say that I would love to see some pics of Louie frolicking in his new digs when the time arrives! ;0) Best of luck to you Adam...and if I didn't live so far away, I would help you move ;0)

Adamity73 said...

Thanks for the offer, Lil Missy! It shouldn't be too bad. I only have an apartment-full of stuff. Three or four trips, maybe less.

And pictures of Lou in his new digs? Count on it, sistah!

Yeah, it's a very comfortable place for me. I've never felt uneasy there; all memories are good.

BTW, I'll expect you at 10:00AM sharp, Michigan time, on Saturday, mmmkay, Melissa? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really great opportunity for you. Bittersweet is what this is, you hit the nail on the head with that one.