Saturday, March 31, 2007

THE GAS MAN COMETH

The tall angular man with the surprising pot-belly walked into the bar at the corner of Third and Sundown and chose a stool at the end of the bar, away from the regular patrons and close to the muted television set. He eased into the seat with a noticeable wince and looked out the window onto Sundown as he waited for service.

Rick Lodeau broke away from the conversation that he'd been having with Kelly Twist and he ambled over to the newcomer, pausing to grab a napkin on his way. He placed the napkin before the man and said, "What'll ya have, chief?"

The man turned his attention to the bartender and the first thing that came to Lodeau's mind was Serve him one or two and get his ass outta here.

The man looked like shit. And that might have been a generous assessment. He swam in his clothes and his face was unshaven and his mouth was pursed in what looked like a permanent grimace and his blondish-brown hair was disheveled and hanging over his right eye. Ordinarily, Rick would have found the hair to be funny--it looked a bit like the man was wearing it the way the kids did--but...not in this instance. The man's eyes were the worst, though. Faded blue and bloodshot and set back in their sockets, they conveyed, with but a single glance, that he was tenuously attached to reality, if at all. His eyes looked steadily enough at Lodeau, but the man seemed not to even recognize that he was interacting with a fellow human being. In Rick's opinion, the man looked as if he could be watching an old game show rerun, what with the level of emotion that issued forth.

"I work for the gas company," said the man. He propped his elbows up on the bar and folded his hands in front of him. "I work for the gas company and I supply heat to people."

Rick nodded and shifted his weight onto his back leg. He had a bad feeling about the guy. "That's great," he said, stretching a grin across his teeth. "Maybe you can do something about my bill, then? Damn thing gets higher and higher each month."

The man stared at the bartender and Rick opened his mouth to tell the man to order something or please leave, but the man moved his lips into an approximation of a smile and said, "If I had a nickle for every time someone said that to me.... Gimme a Bud, please."

"Okay," said Rick, glad to have some form of communication with the man. "Draft or bottle?"

"Whatever," said the man. "Whatever. Does it really even matter?"

Rick shrugged. "Your coin, buddy," and he walked over to the tap and started drawing the man a drink. It is a relatively short exercise, filling a stein with beer, but it seemed, this time, to take forever. Rick felt the man's eyes boring into his back; though he studied the man in the bar's mirror and the man never looked in the bartender's direction--he had, in fact, resumed his surveillance of the street--Rick could not shake that watched feeling. He filled the stein and set it in front of the man on the napkin. "Tab or pay as you go?"

The man pulled a wrinkled five dollar bill from his wallet and tossed it to Rick. "I'll pay as I go, thank you." He sipped at the head on the beer and then pulled a pack of Reds from his breast pocket and fired up a smoke. "Keep the change."

"You got it," said Rick, moving back down the counter towards Kelly. "Lemme know if you need anything else." The man seemed not to have heard, but he flapped a hand over his shoulder, indicating that all was well, as he watched the slow movement on the street.

"Odd fellow, huh?" said Kelly quietly, stubbing out her Virgina Slim and immediately lighting another. "Never seen him here, before."

Rick nodded. "Me neither. And I don't know if odd is the word I would use to describe the guy."

Kelly arched her eyebrows as she sipped at her vodka-tonic. "Well, what would you say?"

Rick picked up a glass and absently dried it. He shrugged. "I don't know. I'm not really good at words and stuff, as you know--" Kelly nodded "--but, to me, it seems like he's the kinda guy you read about in the newspaper, after he, like, kills and eats 15 people. Just...weird. Just a weird dude."

Kelly snickered softly and spun the straw in her drink. Ice clinked. "Like you're the poster-boy for normalcy?"

"Hey," said Rick, feigning hurt, "at least I don't eat people."

"Yet," said Kelly.

"Yet," agreed Rick.

At the barstool near the window, Harold Sides heard their soft conversation and let it wash over and through him. He didn't care what they thought about him. They were unimportant. Completely, utterly, unimportant. As he looked out the dirty bar window at the cars passing and the people walking, Sides thought that today, indeed, would be a good day to put his Plan into action. Today would be a good day, indeed, to commence the carnage. He was ready. The voices had told him so.

He smiled and smoked and drank.

***




14 comments:

Nanette said...

Don't leave me in suspense too long! :D

Have I ever told you how fond I am of your amazing turn of phrase? If I could have a pinch of that talent, I could die happy.

Nanette said...

Perhaps you are leaving me to fill in my own carnage....yes, I believe the story has concluded. But, you know I want more.

Adamity73 said...

I appreciate your compliment, Nanette Nighthawk O'Keefe Bohr Hemingway, but my birthday was yesterday...no need for the smoke. ;o) Fill in as much carnage as you want but the story ain't over. Verily, it has just begun. I'm gonna stick with this one; my updates shall be blog entries to themselves...and the gas man, Harold S., is gonna be a mutherscratcher.

BTW: I just woke up--had to go to the little boys' room--and I determined that a cookie would be a good idea. 5:00AM sweet-rush--this'd better not become Habit. Four cookies, one Snickers, two Creme Eggs, one giant Reese's mixed nuts cup, a slice of pizza and some creamy noodles later, and I'm about to head back to bed.

:-O :-O :-O

(I reckon I was trying to eat to spite my lack o' taste due to my stuffed-up nose. 'Mazing!)

Melissa said...

Excellent beginning, Adam! Well written and I want more, please. Will await your next post with anticipation.

That turned into a pretty big cookie, didn't it? Now I'm hungry. I'm out of Creme Eggs, so plain old eggs and sausage will have to do. Though I have some Snickers for dessert ...

Adamity73 said...

They *always* turn into a "big cookie," fair sis. Harold Size...he has yet to completely reveal himself to me. Right now his face is in Shadow.

[cue dramatic music]

Nanette said...

No smoke!

You immediately capture me in the tale. I can smell the smoke, hear the sounds, picture the occupants--all as clearly as if I were in the bar with the cast o' characters. If that isn't brilliant, I don't know what is. :)

Adamity73 said...

Well, thank you very much, Nanette! I am MOST appreciative! The gas man is percolating in my head right now, as I type this. I think tomorrow? We see his temper.

Unknown said...

i NEED to hear more! Great writing Adam!!

Adamity73 said...

Thanks, Missle! More to come.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the other comments..i can't wait to see where this one goes. i don't see an entry for april 1...is it still percolating?

Anonymous said...

Yep, buxindi, still percolating.

Anonymous said...

Ah hah.... must remembah mama san read post

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp bill consolidation loans
bill consolidation loans

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp debt consolidation loan
best debt consolidation