Friday, March 23, 2007

EMBRACE YOUR PET TODAY

Give him a hug. Give her a chew-toy. Throw the cat some 'nip. (And, no, I'm not talking about exposing yourself to your pussy. Catnip is what I meant. Sheesh.)

Even when we try to be our best to our pets, sometimes some things go awry. It didn't matter what kind of food you served to your pet, if it was a moist food--canned or in pouches--if it had been produced in a certain plant on a certain day, the new wheat gluten that the plant used had the potential to kill your animal. Wheat gluten. Fucking wheat gluten. Used to make the gravy thicker.

It was all a horrible mistake, obviously, but it made me shudder, a bit. My boy Lou is more than a buddy to me. Call me sentimental but, since I have no children (at least none that I know of, wink wink) Lou, to me, has become a sort of son. A furry mute son. And I love him dearly.

Okay. Shit. I am sentimental. But...have you seen the kid?! How could I not be sentimental?

I just thank my lucky stars that I feed the dude Pedigree dog food. Dry Pedigree dog food.

People want to sue the company, whose name I forget. It's an understandable reaction, nowadays, but they can't. Or, they may be able to sue, but it's going to be a long haul and, in the end, probably not even worth it. The FDA does not regulate pet food processing plants--thus, one strike. Also, though pets feel like a part of the family, they are seen, by law, as possessions.

One woman filed a $50 million class-action lawsuit against the manufacturer, which, to me, seems a tad excessive. Where am I going with this post? Nowhere fast. But I guess my main point can be found in paragraph five.

Fuck it. I'm going to bed.

8 comments:

Nanette said...

I have traditional children and still think of my furry babies as highly as my flesh and blood. :D(Queen of Sentimental)

I'm glad Louie eats the dry food!
I make my baby homemade meals--can you say spoiled. This week he is eating a meatloaf: black angus beef, brown rice, tomato sauce, peas, carrots, corn and broccoli.

So sad. It really bothers me when people sue over things like this, the spinach fiasco et al. Accidents. Now, if someone intentionally caused the harm, go ahead and sue.

Adamity73 said...

My thoughts exactly, Nighthawk. Is was a horrible accident.

Wait a minute...did you just say that you feed your *dog* angus beef meatloaf, rice, tomato sauce, peas and carrots and corn and broccoli?!?!?! Can I come over and eat? ;-)

Your little guy definitely eats better than me! Today I had frozen microwave potatoes, a slice of lunchmeat, two slices of cheese, kick-ass salsa and chips and a pint of Haagen Daaz.

Amazing. =o)

Adamity73 said...

Oh. And..."spoiled." ;-)

littlemissy555 said...

I feed Buddy dry Pedigree food as well. While it is awful and sad for the people who's animals died, it was just an accident. I will hug Buddy extra long today, and maybe go for a longer walk in the park ;0D

kimmyk said...

My dogs get dry Pedigree too. I can't imagine. That photo of the kid holding a picture of his dead cat about made me bawl. Sad.

Adamity73 said...

It is very sad, indeed. You already know how I feel about Lou-dog. Yes, hug the pets. Please.

UPDATE: Apparently, there was rat poison found in the foods. It better be a gosh-damned accident!

Nanette said...

Rat poison?!?

Excuse me while I scurry (no pun intended) away to read the news.

Adamity73 said...

Yes, Nighthawk, that is what i read: Rat poison. I gotta read up on it, too.