Monday, March 26, 2007

MUSINGS AT 5:45

I have developed a version of my body without a brake, apparently. Over time, with much diligent practice and stick-to-itiveness, I have minimized my internal "No, that's enough" switch to the point at which it is now like a feeble kitten, mewling, blind and hairless, in a lion's den.

This is neon light-apparent, of course, when it comes to alcohol. One is too many and 35 are not enough. I know that and I'm good with that. I'll avoid, Dukakis. I'll avoid.

But my internal kitten "roars," too, when it comes to sweets.

I awoke at 5:30 and stumbled blearily to the bathroom to void my bladder (too much coffee) and then I moseyed to the kitchen to, perhaps, enjoy a cookie before I put this puppy back to bed. I had that cookie. I had that cookie.

Damned if I didn't. That one was good, so I had seven more.

I also, over the course of 20 fun-filled minutes, injested two cigarettes, a cup of coffee and a piece of chocolate bumpy cake. But that's not all!

Yes, that's right! For the low low price of another level of Waistband and a 15 point-spike on my "bad" cholesterol chart, I also partook in three or four scrapings of icing and butter cream and three-quarters of a pint of peanut butter and chocolate-slash-pralines 'n' cream Baskin Robbins premium ice cream! Yum.

I'll check back in when I'm 248 pounds. Read: Next week.

Does anyone know of a place where I can go to have an "Enough" switch installed? Thanks.

Now, it's off to bed with me. Sweet dreams...eh?

8 comments:

Melissa said...

VERY sweet dreams, I don't doubt!

Anonymous said...

Just curious Adam, where you always drawn to the sweets? Or is this just post giving up the other temptation? I only ask because I've heard tell (though I dont know it for sure) that the sweets give the body the same effect as alcohol. And I do know from family experience that both my uncle who is sober now and my dad who is not, gravitate toward the sweets when not drinking. Just a curious observation. Oh yea and.... Can have some of that cake?

Anonymous said...

were*

Nanette said...

Damn sugar!!!!

Where is the fine print on the bag of cookies?!?

I guess that is why you are so sweet though Adam. Don't change a thing.

Anonymous said...

@ Terry: Oh, yeah...I've always been drawn to the sweets. And, yes, it does give a similar reponse, physiologically, as does alcohol. People say, actually, that when one is trying to "put the cork in the jug" and take it "one day at a time" and when they are trying to " fake it till they make it" it is wise to carry with them a reserve of chocolate to help with the cravings. Apparently, the body metabolizes alcohol and sugar in the same way. Because alcohol *is* a sugar, so to speak. =o) But, yeah, I remember sneaking scoops of frozen strawberries from the freezer when I was but 7 or 8. Damn tasty!

@ Nighthawk: Thank you! Very much appreciated. I guess I'll put a hold on the sex-change operation for the time being. ;-) (What? You've never seen a woman with an Adam's Apple and a gratuitously hairy chest?!) =o)

Unknown said...

Have the cookies...and the coffe...ditch the damn cigarettes!! Do it! DAmmit!

Adamity73 said...

I know I need to, Miss Syl. MissSyl. Missle.

Unknown said...

There is no mercy on that one.
My mom was (is) a huge chainsmoker, so i grew up with my hair and clothes always reeking of smoke. No wonder i cannot stand the smell of it now