Monday, September 10, 2007

GOOD-BYE

Cancer is such a motherfucking bitch. It just moves so fast, sometimes.

Uncle Rodney died this morning at around 4:00, surrounded by his siblings and a good friend. We saw him last Thanksgiving; he'd mentioned severe back pain that he'd thought had come from lugging hundred pound bags of rock salt. In June he'd awoken to paralysis, a malignant tumor in his spine. Admitted to the hospital, he had learned that the cancer was Stage Four and had spread to his bones and other areas on his body.

Diagnosis was near Memorial Day. Passing was near Labor Day. So fast. Cancer is a bitch.

I saw Rod twice before he died. The first time was right after he'd been admitted to the hospital in Ypsilanti in June. The second time was when he had been in physical therapy in Birmingham. Both times he'd been bright-eyed and had had his wry sense of humor, his dark joking. He was stoic and strong, stronger than I would have been, I'm sure, having been bullywhapped with the dual diagnosis of terminal cancer and paralysis. As I prepared to leave after the first visit, he'd said something about his being a wuss. I remember that my heart had caught a bit in my throat. "No way," I'd said. "That's bullshit. You're as strong as anyone I've ever seen." He smiled but I don't think he had believed me. I spoke the truth, though.

Strong. Stoic. Full of cancer and paralyzed, I had never even seen a tear...or a why-me attitude.

Uncle Rodney, my father's little brother, died this morning at around 4:00. He was surrounded by people who loved him. Rod's only son, my cousin Dean, died in a car accident almost 20 years ago at age 18, and his passing crushed my uncle.

20 years ago this December, Dean left this three-dimensional world. His father followed today.

I'd like to think that they are together, wherever--be it Heaven or be it an alternate plane of existence--catching up on lost time. I like to think that, on that tenuous slope between this world and the next, Uncle Rod saw his only son, Dean, smiling and beckoning.

And I think that Uncle Rod climbed painlessly from his deathbed and walked to the Doorway and embraced his son in a bearhug that will never be broken.

God bless, Rod. Say hi to Dean, for me.

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Dammit, Adam. I almost made it through the whole day without crying (tearing up at work doesn't count because as soon as it started, the phone rang and I had to get myself in hand) and there you went, writing something beautiful.

I'm glad you did. I needed to cry.

Anonymous said...

uncle rodney would have lovingly approved of your tender eulogy,adam. it brought tears to my eyes and gave me a good vision of uncle rodney and dean, together at last. these fond rememberances are what make people live in our hearts. thanks.

La Moob said...

Delurking to offer my condolences...my Dad woke up one day with a back ache, was diagnosed on my bday in July of 2000 and left us Sept. 28, 2000. It was far too quick. Sorry for your loss.

Nanette said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Unknown said...

So sorry Adam. Cancer is a Fucking Bitch.

littlemissy555 said...

I'm so very sorry Adam. Your post brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful sentiment. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Add another hug to Nan's...

Jennchez said...

Your right cancer is a motherfucking, cocksucking bitch!

Condolences to you and your family.
Your post is a beautiful honor to your uncle's memory.

**big*hugs**

Me_Again said...

I know the feeling...*muah* (that is for you =0)
Your sentiment was deeply felt.

Peace be with you and your family.

Let me know if you need *anything*

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss Adam. Your right about Cancer, it really is a bitch. I lost my Grandpa to it a few years back. The only time in my life I'd ever seem him so vulnerable and cry. It was heartbreaking. Your uncle isn't in pain anymore and I'm sure he knows how much you loved him. Keep your chin up, tomorrow's another day!

Jay said...

My condolences to your family. Very sorry for you loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.
My thoughts are with you and yours.


(Hugs from me, too.)

Adamity73 said...

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the sentiments very much.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I didn't check in yesterday. But yes, you're right, Cancer is the devil. It robs good people of dreams and hopes and lives. It took my life long wish to be a Mommy and squashed it like a bug. But in the end, it opened my eyes to the world around me. Gave me a will to stop waiting for life and start living it. It brought my family closer together.
I'm very sorry for your (and your family's) loss, Adam. I offer you my prayers and my friendship - in whatever way you need. Not that you would, but please don't let his passing go in vain. Even if it's only to make a little extra effort and call someone you haven't talked to in a while... Do something valued for someone else, in your Uncle's honor.
Hugs, Terry

ps Your words were heart warming. I'm sure, he would be touched.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that bro, he sounded like one cool chap.

Regards.

Adamity73 said...

Thanks, Terry. I'll do that.

Thanks, Noc.

Anonymous said...

Adam, I just wanted to tell you again that I am sorry for your loss. The blog was very beautiful and I send my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I had tears welling up in my eyes as I read and thought of my own grandma fighting a similar battle. May God rest his soul.

Anthony said...

I'm sorry for your loss. What's important is that his memory lives on through you.

Amazing how many people involved in my life are battling cancer. And some who lost. Yes, without question, it's a royal bitch.

Adamity73 said...

Thanks for the kind words, Mustard princess. He's in a better place.

Anthony: Welcome! Thanks and keep your chin up, eh?