Tuesday, December 23, 2008

THIRTY-FIVE IN DAWG YEARZ

Unconditional love. Loyalty. Laughs. A warm furry body around which I can wrap my arms. Deep soulful brown eyes. The beginning of salting of gray on the muzzle. Five years of unquestioning companionship and love.

Louie turns five years old today. It marks--and for three months down the line--the only time in our relationship that we'll be approximately the same age. 35 or thereabouts. I had a huge head-start but, unfortunately, Lou is fast and he made up the distance rather too quickly. Eventually, he'll streak right on by me and leave me in his four-pawed dust, sprinting towards the end of the line so that he can meet with God quicker. This is dogs' only downfall--they're candles that burn from both ends and they live their angelic lives too damned quickly.

I'm a maroon. I'm here writing about Louie's birthday, ostensibly a joyous day, and I'm bumming myself out. My eyes are gettin' a little misty and my throat is choking up a bit. Why the hell am I focusing on his lifespan? Why not just live in the moment and bury my face in his musty-doggy side and inhale deeply of the shared Love? I heard something in a meeting on Sunday, and, though it is somewhat cheesey and prepackaged "Meeting talk", it rings true: Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery, but today is the Present and it's a gift. True dat.

After I finish this, Lou is going to get a biscuit. Seems a little threadbare of a present for such a happy day but, hell, he's a Christmas bambino and so he's gotta share his birthday with the little Baby Jesus, y'dig? Hey-Zeus won't mind and Lou should be honored to celebrate in such rarified air.

Happy birthday, Louie. I love you forever, dude...but, uh, stick around a while, m'kay?

13 comments:

The Girl said...

Awww, Happy Birthday Louie. Gus turns 7 on January 3rd so I know exactly how your feel. He is so damn cute. Your post was so awesome. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who celebrates Baby Jesus' birthday !

littlemissy555 said...

Happy Birthday to Louie! And Merry Christmas to you Adam ;0)!

Jay said...

Happy birthday to Louie!

Melissa said...

Happy birthday, Lou! 0You're a good boy.

332

The numbers in this comment are courtesy of Willy's chin. Perhaps he was trying to send a message to Lou?

Adamity73 said...

Anti-Mommy: Say happy birthday to Gus for me. My Dad's birthday was January third. It's a good day, apparently. =o)

Thanks, Long-lost Li'l Miss. Merry Christmas to you, too. :)

Jay-Jay: Lou thanks you, sir.

Missy Poo: Lou thanks you. And happy birthday to Pete and Will, as well. "332"? That's doggy-code--very serious stuff. :-O Don't dig too deep, y'hear?

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, little granddog. and to your brothers two. i can remember you all scrambling in that box after you were born and looking so cute. and then a few months later when we baby sat your brothers while their mom and dad went to a bowling nationals. you are all so sweet, but, louie, we have spent more time together and bonded a little more deeply. happy birthday.

Adamity73 said...

Aaaaay, BooBoo (spoken in Yogi Bear voice): Louie thanks his grandma and he wants to see you soon. He told me that. Seriously. Yeah, they were cute back in the day in they're still cute....

Real Live Lesbian said...

Happy Birthday, Lou! Wishing you many, many more years together!

Suldog said...

Happy Birthday to Louie! And the absolutely merriest of Christmases to both of you! Only "met" both of you recently, but you sound like nice beings who were made for each other :-)

Maithri said...

Bro,

This is such a moving post.

'Hey Zeus' would be proud to share his birthday with a lover like Louie...

I always think that i'll never love as unconditionally, as purely as my dog loves me...

Enjoy the day man,

Wishin you a Christmas full of Big laughs and all the other good stuff, ;)

M

Adamity73 said...

Lou thanks you, Lynn, as do I. Merry Christmas! =o)

Jimbo Sullivan: Oh, Lou and I *were* made for each other. He's the best boy evah...and, yes, I may be biased on the subject. The crazy thing is, both Meagan and Naomi claim to like Oliver (the canine Eddie Haskell) better than Lou. I say they gotta be crazy. Merry windy Christmas.

Maithri, my brother, merry Christmas to you, too, sir. =o) I don't think any being loves as unconditionally as dawgz...that's their bread-and-butter play...count it good, every time. Peace.

JenBun said...

AWWWW! Happy b'day, Lou-doggy-dawg!

Z is 6 1/2 and the muzzle-salt is more than just a sprinkle...

Enjoy the love. Life is short.

xoxox
♥ ♥

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lou. Happy late birthday.

(I had a semi-large dog that lived to be 13. Just to give you some hope. After all, five is the new two, right?)