Wednesday, March 26, 2008

OVER-OVER-OVERANALYSIS

I logged on to the computer today and my MSN homepage popped up and this is the first thing that caught my eye. Cleveland superstar Lebron James and supermodel Gisele on the cover of Vogue magazine. In the cover photo, Lebron is snarling at the camera and dribbling a basketball with his left hand whilst his right hand is (enviably) draped around Gisele's hip.

Apparently, to some, this controversial. Wha--?! What the fuck did I miss?

Some people are saying that this is a racist photo, that it conjures in their minds an image of King Kong and the blonde, Fay Wray. That it connotes an image of "The Dangerous Black Man."

Come. On.

Who are these people who Chicken Little like this?!

I'll tell you one thing: they are automatically geared to see things with a racist slant. That they, in fact, are racist.

And another thing: they obviously aren't people who view NBA basketball...shit, any basketball, for that matter. If they had, they'd have seen Lebron making this face about ten times per game. This is a victorious countanence--this is the face that he makes when he throws down over a seven-footer. This is him being who he is--an emotional 23-year-old. And why wouldn't he be excitable? He's Lebron James, for God's sake. He is paid outrageous sums of money to sell his image, to play around with a ball; he's arguably the best player in the game today. And he's got his arm around a supermodel. I'd be roaring, too.

Whisper this: but...he's...black. And she's...white. Gasp. And he's...tattooed. And she's...white. And he's...huge. And she's...white. Double-gasp.

Will we ever move on? Will we Americans ever move on? Will the race issue ever die? Will we ever just see people as people and not colors?

"What does this mean?" "What is the underlying socio-racial paradigm of this?! Why does he look so dangerous?! Oh me! Oh my!" The sky is falling, apparently.

What would have the Chicken Littles preferred? A somber Lebron and a bashful Gisele? Sitting at either end of a plaid couch. Come. On. They are entertainers. They are two people who have reached the pinnacles of their chosen professions. And, you know why these two were on the cover? The magazine had a story about professional athletes and supermodels and how they sculpted their bodies into the works of art that they are. That's it. And, yes, these two human beings are very blessed, genetically.

By the way, when I think of Lebron, I think of the photo at the top. And when I think of Gisele? Well, I think of this.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

If anything, all the picture brings to my mind is the fact that Gisele looks *terrible*... they couldn't have gotten a less manish photo of a fucking super model?

Dana said...

This was also the first time a black man has ever appeared on the cover of Vogue You know, people are different - we all look different and come from different backgrounds - my hope is that some day we'll look at the strengths these differences bring to our lives!

Jay said...

I saw a guy on TV the other day talking about this. His basic point was all the white athletes in a lot of these non sports magazines are presented as much more socially acceptable. Wearing nice suits, looking dignified and whatever and the black athletes are presented as pimps or animals or whatever. Basically his argument was that black players should stop letting the magazines make them do that and demand to be photographed in a more civilized manner. Or whatever.

Melissa said...

I see an athlete and a model.

Anonymous said...

As far as civilized, if you open the mag and read the article, I'm not sure of the athletes, but none of them are in suits and ties- a swimmer is underwater, some guy is practically naked (portraying Adonis, I believe) so it's not like Lebron is in his basketball clothes and everyone else is all dressed up.

I guess, if I looked at other non sporting magazines, and I found this TV guys point, I could agree... but why bring it up with this issue of Vogue, who clearly didn't have any ill intentions, and did nothing wrong?

I mean, were they supposed to put Lebron in a suit in the same article with the half naked Adonis?

JenBun said...

He is huge and tattooed and gorgeous... yummy! I wouldn't mind having him draped over me, either! ;)

She is yummy too.

Adamity73 said...

Caleal: Terrible?! Surely you jest! ;-)

DNA: I'm with ya, Dana. I wish the world celebrated diversity more, instead of being so xenophobic and attracted to homogeny.

Jay: I guess the final call was with Lebron and he didn't mind that the camera caught him being himself. A 23- or 24-year-old who has the world by the balls. :-)

Melissa: Bingo! You see what I saw. You deserve a gold star! :-D

Caleal: Exactly. This "controversy" is ridiculous. (And i think that most people feel as such.)

JenBun: I'll let him know. Bronny and I go waaaaaaay back, ever since I schooled him on the basketball court ten years ago, when I was 25 and he was 13. :) {Who am I kidding? He would have kicked my ass then, too.}

Laura said...

It's all a bit daft if you ask me.

Nanette said...

No, it will never end. Because people teach their children what their parents taught them. It is a sad reality. :(

Anonymous said...

I'm just saying, she's a super model. That weird open mouthed grin... it scares me. She can be prettier, I know it.

Adamity73 said...

Agreed, Bunny. Daft. I *like* that word. :-)

Nighthawk: Exactly. Vicious cycle and all of that. So, as Staind would ask, how do we "break the cycle?"

Caleal: Oh, I hear ya. The open-mouthed grin. Maybe Lebron goosed her before the shot was taken. You know...like ALLLLLLL black athletes do to white supermodels--goose them before shutters click. ;-)

HopSkipJump said...

Hmmm...

Turns out I want to fuck a giant ape named King Kong.

Adamity73 said...

LOL, IFfy. :-P

Jay said...

Happy Birthday Adam!

Adamity73 said...

Thanks, Jay! Much appreciated, sir.