Wednesday, November 07, 2007

OLIVER HASKELL: "WHO? ME??"

So I was in the kitchen, laying out my wallet and cell phone and keys for the bleary-eyed morning, when I heard the rapid light bass of approaching beagle footsteps. I set down my wallet and turned from the counter and reached the doorway just as Oliver was skittering around the stove and into the kitchen.

His tail wagging furiously, Oliver skidded to a stop and simultaneously dropped at my feet the snack-sized bag of M&M's that heretofore had been mocking him from the living room table. With that declaration of his omnipotence, Oliver turned on a dime and trotted back into the front room, whereupon he hopped up onto the chair and curled into a beagle-ball.

The kid is Eddie Haskell. Had I not been in the kitchen, I'm sure that I would have found little brown pieces of an M&M's wrapper scattered about the floor and Oliver would have had chocolate candy chips in his chaw. But I was there. And so Oliver improvised. He shifted plans in mid-skitter and laid the offensive delicacy at my feet, my fearless beagle knight.

[And I'm sure that Lou watched the goings-on from the living room, thinking to himself, Okay. It's been fun. But when does this buzzkill leave?]

9 comments:

Nanette said...

So does that make you Ward?--and you will be a little hard on the Beaver? ;) And, is Lou the Beave? (Yes, I'm 12)

Melissa said...

How the hell did that short little dog reach the top of the table? He must be very resourceful.

Jay said...

Hey, he just thought you could use a little M&M infusion. So he brought them to you. Now, if he would just pour you a glass of milk and maybe lay out your newspaper, sports page first of course, he'd be the perfect dog. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Very cute story! He knew he would get chewed out so he brought them to Daddy! lol Just think of the things Lous says to Oliver when you're sleeping!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! That's adorable.

Whenever I'm doing homework, my dog comes and pulls the pen out of my hand because he thinks it's a fun game.

Adamity73 said...

Nan: :-O Good God, I *hope* Lou isn't the Beaver! ;-)

Melmac: He reached the top of Grandad's table in the front room. Resourceful? Well, only in that it was snout-level from his perch on the chair.

Jay: I can always use an M&M infusion. And skip the milk...I'll take a cup o' joe, black as the inside of a witch's hmm-haw.

Tizzy: They mumble dog-talk all night. But, unlike cats, they do not plot a coup. ;-)

Welcome, Cassy. Pull up a rock and enjoy the madness. ;-) And what the hell *isn't* fun about having your pen slobbered on by a canine? =o)

Anonymous said...

That is too cute! I am so happy to hear that he is fitting in just fine with your little family. I just hope he will give you many years of good stories and a warm furry ball to keep you company on these cold michigan nights.

Adamity73 said...

There will be many many more, Autumnanjel. Oliver is a card. And the way that he and Lou interact is a show unto itself. As to his being a warm ball on "those" cold Michigan nights? Sure, he can hop up...as long as he doesn't taste-sample the blanket as he has been wont to do. :-P

Adamity73 said...

*These

Whoops!