Friday, August 29, 2008

DIFFERING VIEWPOINTS

I have been reading the Orange Papers for about three hours. It is a fascinating look--from an AA dissenter--at anything and everything about the organization, from its co-founders, Bill Wilson and Doctor Bob Smith, to its success rate and its "frozen dogma."

All I know is that it works. Call me a simpleton, call me a sheep. All I know is that when I go to a meeting--even a bad one in which people drone on and nothing of great value seems to be imparted--I leave said meeting with a feeling of having done something productive for myself.

I agree with much of what Agent Orange writes. And I appreciate his snarky humor, too. I belive, also, that individuals get themselves sober only when they have had enough of the madness and the sickness and the general malaise that comes with allowing oneself to become led by the balls (or ovaries) by the infantile Crocodile brain that always clamors, "More, more, more!" I believe that people reach a point when enough is enough and they throw that addicitve anchor into the ocean.

That said, I think that AA has helped many people. I truly do. Am I brainwashed into thinking this, as the author may suggest? Maybe. But I know that the program ("the cult," as he would write) has helped me. How? I dunno. Support, sharing, altruism, for starters.

Is this a spiritual experience or is is simple self-preservation? Here, I diverge from Agent Orange: I think it is both.

Anyway, addicted or not, alcoholic or not, I think that this is some really interesting reading.

(I've always thought that Bill Wilson was a little full of himself....)

8 comments:

JenBun said...

It's awesome that it is something that works for you... and that you can respect a differing point of view. It is SO important to always know both (or all) sides of something before you stick to one. (At least that's my opinion...) :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on week 2 and well into week 3! Boy, the Orange Papers are interesting! Thanks for the reference. Lot of reading there. I like that you are using AA as you need to while still open to a world of debate. Take care!

Frank said...

I gave up drinking by being poor. No money = can't buy booze.

M@ said...

Funny. I'm pretty hung over right now.

Adamity73 said...

JenBun: And that is a fine opinion to hold. I think the world would be a better place if people were more open-minded and made edumacated decisions, you know?

Gum-Dawg: Thanks, man. Wow. The time really flew by. I had to look at the calendar to verify that, yes, it is Week 3. Sweet. And, yeah, LOTS of reading. The guy is a virtual font of information.

Frank: That is true. But you could always start selling shit to support a booze habit. I, for one, was selling kitzchy little crocheted baby bonnets at the depth of my addiction. ;-P

Matt: More beer will help...but it tends to become cyclical. =)

Melissa said...

If it works for you, it works. Three weeks! That's great, Adam.

xoxox

Anonymous said...

I haven't really chimed in yet on the subject. It's a subject that has a familiar family ring to it, which touches me deeply. Dad is an alcoholic and has been for years. I wish he had your desire to be free of it. Anyway, I wanted you to know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers nightly. You get only good vibes and support from this bloggy friend. Hugs.

Caleal said...

I guess it depends on how you look at AA. I've not done my research, but I know in a counseling relationship the majority of change comes from the hope- hope that the counselor has for the client, and hope the client has for themselves.

So, if you think you're being brainwashed, you probably aren't going to benefit... and if you feel you're not, and you have hope for it, you'll probably be helped...