Saturday, May 26, 2007

PORKY HAS SPOKETH

Um. I don't like to belittle someone because of their beliefs system. I think that diversity is the spice of life and that the world would be a very boring place if we all came out of the same cookie-cutter mold. But some beliefs are just so damned stupid and some beliefs fly so pigheadedly against the wind of Reason, it makes it difficult to interact with said people without bwahahahaha-ing in their blank upturned faces.

There is a new museum in Kentucky--Petersburg, to be exact. It comes with a $27-million price tag, which, I guess, for a museum isn't that outrageous. Here's the kicker, though: It's a museum of Creationism. You know, Creationism, the antithesis to Darwinism, evolution.

In this "museum," there shall be exhibits that maintain that dinosaurs were present on Noah's Ark. Um. I don't even know where to start with that. I don't know. Just read the article, if you want to. I'm feeling uninspired today, and each key stroke is an exercise in frustration.

But one thing that--okay, two things--that I got out of the article that really worry me: One, 30% of Republican presidential candidates recently said in a debate that they don't believe in evolution and, two, almost half of the U.S. population said, in a recent Gallup poll, that they believe that human beings did not evolve, but were rather created by God, in their present image, within the last 10,000 years.

I thought we were done with the Dark Ages. How do people, with emperical evidence--mounds of it--still maintain this tommyrot? Also, one quick aside before I go and soak my head: This group that founded the museum--this "Creation" Museum in Kentucky--they're led by a man with the last name of Ham. How is one supposed to take seriously a man with the last name of Ham? I'd have images of a stuttering Porky Pig bouncing through my head every time I glanced at his nametag.

Anyway.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

And these are the people running our country right now. Scares the Shit out of me . No matter if some sort of god had something to do with our being on this earth - evolution is still a FACT.

Adamity73 said...

I agree, Missile. With Dubya as the Pied Piper. OMG!

[runs and hides]

For what it's worth, I believe that a Heavenly Being set into motion the Big Bang and everything took off from there. Ka-BOOM!

The Republican Party is becoming the Religious Radical Party, in my opinion. Huzzah! ;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Fiction Sells.

dumb cunts

Melissa said...

It must have been a mighty big Ark ...

Adamity73 said...

Yes, melmac. Big Ark, with a whole lotta headroom. ;-)

Sugar Kane said...

I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

And really, with all that's going on in the world should we really be arguing over how it began? Would the sudden knowledge of how it all really came to be help say, the homeless, cure aids, end war, or feed the starving?

Adamity73 said...

It boggles my mind if I think about it too much, Sugar. The Beginning, that is. How does one measure Infinity? And how can it not end? What is past the outer reaches of the universe? That's why I have to believe that there is definitely SOMETHING out there, in there, under there, over there--wherever. My thinking is that this entity/Being/god/whatever put into motion events that would yield basic life--ie, the warmth of the melting pot oceans--and, from there, things followed their natural course.

It just irks me when people believe that the universe is only 6000 years old, despite the physical evidence, choosing to, instead, look at said evidence as a "test" from God of their faith.

I don't think that we'll ever know how it began. Perhaps after death we will know. And, you're right: There are a heck of a lot more pressing issues that face us on this melting rock, third from the Sun, than where it all began.

[shrugs off carl sagan mask]

Nanette said...

At this point, I'll just go bury my head in the sand--seems like I'll have a bit o' company.

Adamity73 said...

I'll be right next to ya, Nighthawk. =o(