Monday, May 14, 2007

PAGING DOCTOR DOOLITTLE....

I think the animals around my house need a doctor. Doctor Doolittle will do nicely. Maybe it's something in the water? Who knows. This dude to the right, here? The Doctor should see him posthaste.

I got home from work and let my boy Lou out. We played a bit of Fetch and Lou urinated and then we got set to go inside. I heard a chick-chuck-chick-chuck sound over my head and I looked up to see the squirrel looking down at me and chattering. "What's up, man?" I asked him.

He looked at me and chattered, seemingly frozen in place. I sat there and watched him for a good five minutes as Lou danced around my feet and leaped against the neighbor's fence. During that five minutes, the squirrel moved two feet. Maybe three. I figured, hell, why not get a couple of shots of the kid, so I went and got my camera out of my knapsack and returned, figuring the long-tailed rodent would have high-tailed it by then. Nope. He was still there, apparently clutching the wire for dear life.

I have a question: Aren't squirrels supposed to be, like, agile? Isn't a trip along a power wire kind of like a walk in the park for them? This guy might have been drunk, I guess. Taking a step or two, looking down at Lou and I looking up at him, taking another step, freezing.

I ended up taking about 10 shots of the squirrel. It was easy. I took the shots from all angles because he apparently didn't feel like moving. Maybe he was preparing for a career in modeling?

All this to say that the damned squirrel was acting really odd. And, while I was studying the frozen squirrel and taking snapshots, a bird flew into the side of my neighbor's house, rebounding with a solid thunk.
Hurry up, Doctor Doolittle, we're losing them fast.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have squirrels around here as well, they definitely can be socialites.

Adamity73 said...

Hey, Nocturnal. Thanks for stoppin' by. This squirrel *would* have been a socialite, but I think he needs to get over his Social Anxiety Disorder first.

littlemissy555 said...

Wow Adam, it sounds like the little guy was smitten. Maybe he was just being curious and was just passing the time ;0). No? Well OK, it does sound a bit odd. We have a bunch of squirrel in the back yard who don't run away when we go out. I guess they are used to us. As for the bird...poor thing...sounds like he needed some asprin. ;0/

Adamity73 said...

LOL, Miss. Yeah, asprin or a morphine drip. That guy hit the house HARD! ;-) RE: The Squirrel. I think he was young and inexperienced and terrified of Louie. It kinda brought to my mind that scene in Peter Pan, in which someone is walking a tighrope or something over a bunch of snapping crocodiles.

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember a squirrel acting pretty nuts over there once before... long ago, same house.. it was rolling around and around on a lawn chair, going over it and under it. Hmmmm. I think we were told he had rabies.

Adamity73 said...

I hate to laugh...so I won't. :-/

But that is pretty funny, the way you described it. "I think we were told he had rabies." LOL

Sugar Kane said...

I once saw a squirrel water ski on behind a little remote control boat. It still makes me laugh.

Adamity73 said...

Yeah! I saw that squirrel, too! He was always on the beginning of the sports bloopers shows, methinks. What a talented squirrel!