Friday, November 03, 2006

A NON-PUPPY'S PUPPY-LIKE TRANSGRESSIONS

How is it that a dog nearing his 3rd birthday (December 23rd) forgets things that he learned as a puppy? As in, one, don't chew stuff up and, two, don't poop in the apartment? I guess I'm not a very good 'blogger, because this post should have a lot of musings and theories here, but I think I have the answer: I, as his proud papa, just am not giving the kid enough attention. I wake up late, hurry him outside to pee and poop, and then dash off to work for eight hours. From the time I'm gone to the time I get back, it's probably closer to nine-and-a-half hours.

In the meantime, what? Lou is left to his own devices. This shit--no pun intended never happened when I was working a more-normal 8:00-4:30. But when I shifted to 2:00-10:30, the shit hit the fan. Metaphorically-speaking, of course. I have no fan.

Added to the I-gotta-poop-here's-a-good-place mentality is the occurence of the "Death of the Pillow." I came home from work recently and Lou was laying on the couch with his tail wagging. It quickly sagged between his legs when I noticed that, no, it hadn't snowed while I was at work and, no, a Colombian druglord had not broken in and left his stash of primo coke on the front room's floor. No, nope, neither. Rather, what had happened was that Lou had torn my brown throw pillow to pieces. (I was kinda fond of it. I'd put it behind my head when I was laying on my back on the couch, and that made it easier to see the TV, which I hardly watch.

"Jesus Christ, Lou! What the fuck, man?!" I'd exclaimed.

"What the fuck" was that he'd been bored and alone and left to his own devices.

I used to cage the kid while I was gone. And, today, I considered doing that again, while I was taking him out after I got home from work. But then I came to my senses. No way in hell am I going to cage him ever again, the only exception being if a serviceworker for some company has to do some work in my place.

No, what I have to do is treat the kid with more respect. Respect meaning, I need to treat him more as a living, breathing being that get bored and that gets lonely. He's a generally quiet, well-behaved dog, so maybe that's why I've come to take him for granted, as in poop and pee on command, Lou and don't miss or get bored when I'm gone. (Oh, and also do my laundry and clean the baffroom, mmmkay?) No. That's not right. he's quiet, sure, but if I'd wanted a quiet, non-destroying dog, I could have gone to Toys-R-Us and bought a stuffed animal. Not only is he a highly-intelligent dog (or so it seems to me) but he's also a Pit Bull-Boxer mix and, ask anyone who has one, those dogs are highly-energetic, as well.

So, I'll get started on that "more-attention stuff" tomorrow. Just kidding. When I'm done typing this, the kid's gonna get at least a walk around the block. And, Jesus, Adam! Stop waking up right before you have to go to work! Get a life, dude!

Anyone have any interesting "Destroyer Dog" stories? I'd love to hear them....

(By the way, the smell of a cigarette burning down to its filter is surprisingly-like that of unwanted dog shit. Just noticed.)

10 comments:

Adamity73 said...

Very salient points, Alexi. I do believe that I'll have to start picking him up by the scruff of his neck. Not easy to do, with a 75-pound canine...but my teeth are strong. I had milk, and I still got it.

Heather said...

Cigarettes smell worse than dog shit. :-P And that's sayin somethin.

Nanette said...

I'm glad you decided to pay more attention to louie--I would have had to hunt your ass down and beat the shit out of you if you would have decided to cage him all day--can you tell that i have a very soft spot for pups? I was beginning to think you had abandoned your blog already adam ;)

no wild dog stories here...i just deal with the angry, let's piss on the bed thing here

Adamity73 said...

Heather--Right you are. Smoking...stinks! Yuck!

Nanette--Before you hunt my ass down and beat the shit out of me, let me tell you two things: First, I thrive on pain. And, second, though slight in stature--I'm only 4'4"--I am adept at using my low centre of gravity to spurn my attackers.

Okay, three things. Third, I realized something in the last 18 hours that I've been "paying more attention" to Lou-dawg. The kid shits.a.lot. He's like a furry canine rap-artist--Sir Shits-A-Lot. In the last 18 hours, 1080 minutes, Sir Lou has emptied his bowels 4 times! Damn! I guess I underestimated his capacities!

More information that needed, I know. But, there.

littlemissy555 said...

My dog Buddy had the same issue. We moved and I started working overtime and he said a big "screw you guys" He ripped up trash, he ate one of my tank tops, destroyed all of his toys, and tore the metal bars off of his kennel. We have since taken care of this and he is a very happy pup. There is almost always someone home with him now, so he likes that.

Adamity73 said...

Yeah, Missy, that's what it is: attention. I think that Buddy's gargantuan head also houses a gargantuan brain, but it is "dialed-down" to a Doggy Id. As in, You guys dare to leave me? ME?! I am...BUDDY! Here, take this. And, here, take that!

On the plus side, you made good money working overtime and you never really liked that tank top anyway. So! A win-win!

PS? Your dog Buddy is the Incredible Hulk of chocolate labs. Any dog that can tear metal bars off his kennel is a dog that needs to be reckoned with. Plus! Have you seen the size of his head?! (Yeah, you probably have.)

littlemissy555 said...

Yes, I have seen the size of his head. It is especially big when he lays it on my chest, thus blocking my view of the tv. And you are correct, made extra money, and screw that tank top...that's my boy! ;0)

Adamity73 said...

Well, good! :)

But...Buddy *needs* to be trained to be a better window than a wall. Is that at all possible?

Or will his Texas-sized noggin just fuck up all pre-ordained plans?

justwondering

littlemissy555 said...

Um, yeah, he just does what he wants...I'm trained well!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.