Tuesday, November 21, 2006

KRAMER, KRAMER, KRAMER...

So I learned today that one of my favorite comic actors, Michael Richards, lost his top while doing stand-up at a place called the "Laugh Factory." I watched the scene unfold on my computer screen--TMZ.com--and I kind of felt sick to my stomach.

Richards, who played "Kramer" on "Seinfeld," lit into a couple of hecklers, who were black, weaving both profanity and also many racial slurs into his tasteless tiradical taperstry.

To me, he sounded like he may have had a couple drinks too many.

Hecklers are part of the business, when one is a stand-up comedian. There are ways--better ways--to deal with them. First, ignore. If that doesn't work, spotlight them verbally, but with taste. Third, don't say a word. Exercise Tai Chi, let the heckler be the water that flows around and over you, the rock, until it dissapates.

I saw him, Richards, tonight on the "Letterman Show." Jerry Seinfeld was a guest and Richards got patched in on a satellite feed from Hollywood. He explained himself--for the most part--saying that his "rage" had gotten the better of him. He explained that his genre of comedy is more of like a "free association" type of stagesmanship. I get that. I really do.

But I also saw the tape.

No one wants to be heckled. Of course, but, listen:

The N-word is bad enough. Especially when repeated more than ten times times to the groans and "oh my god"s of audience members. But I took the most offense to his opening parry to the two hecklers. It went something like this: Fifty years ago, you'd be upside-down and we'd be shoving nickles into your ass. Nigga! I can't quote exactly, so I won't. But, Jesus, Richards. What the fuck?

He seemed very very conciliatory when I saw him tonight. And sad. And shocked, as he most-definitely watches his career fly, like a sparrow, into a glass building. He should feel bad, of course.

But I worry about his mental health. (Not too much, as I don't know him--I've just seen him on the boob-tube--but, yeah.) I worry about his mental health. He is known for playing "Kramer," not for anything else. Every other movie or TV show that I've seen him in has sucked ass. Anyone remember that lawyer-movie that he once did? I do vaguely, but I can't recall the name.

I should have entitled this post "The Pitfalls of an Ancillary Actor's Success." He was an actor before "Seinfeld." Of course. But, as the saying goes, it is far better to remain in theatrical semi-obscurity and make a living than to be catapaulted to wild success and become accustomed to the honey pot. And, if that ain't a saying? It is now.

"Pushing the envelope" is one thing. What I saw made me think of one word, after reflection: Frustration. Dude seems frustrated beyond measure. He doesn't have the slick showmanship of a Seinfeld. Nor does he, it seems, have the cerebral shtick of a Carlin. He doesn't even have the carefully-delivered vitriol of a Kinison. He's got the--and, yes, I only saw one bit of one show--the melancholy frustration of a cultural icon who blew his wad in one series.

And he lost his head. Once. But, in the Hollywood-world, I think once is all it takes.

6 comments:

Nanette said...

I saw the apology on Letterman before knowing fully what happened...but, I still haven't seen the offense, nor do I desire to do so. It is terribly tragic when people snap--did he really mean those things he said or was he just angry and pushing buttons--one will never know. I for one have, in anger lashed out at my mother and told her that I hated her--did I really hate her-- no, but I was angry at the moment and knew how to push her button. When will people learn to keep their mouths shut--probably never. How many questions can I ask myself in your comment section and answer, I don't know.

littlemissy555 said...

I too saw his tirade and was disgusted! I did not see his mea culpa on Letterman, but I surely hope that it was sincere. It is really a shame that we must still face racial issues today, seeing how far society has come. This type of thing makes society take a few steps back IMO.

Adamity73 said...

nanette--it was pretty stomach-curdling. I just felt sad--for everyone who saw it. i think he snapped and i think he was pushing buttons, and once the buttons were pushed, he couldn't take it back, so he tried to *improvise*, which went badly, indeed.

lilmiss--two things. One, i saw his apology and it was sincere. the guy looked like he was flat-out disgusted with himself and ready to cry at times. Two, i've seen this a couple of times...what does lMO mean?

The Apologist said...

Alcohol didn't make Mel Gibson anti-semetic and anger didn't make Kramer a racist.

When that shit slips out your mouth, it has already been living in your head.

No apologies accepted.

littlemissy555 said...

IMO = In my opinion ;0)

Adamity73 said...

apologist--you make a very salient point. alcohol is but a lubricant, sometimes. it makes things easier to say--or do. and, like I wrote in the meanderings, one mistake, for a bit player, is all it takes.

it's unfortunate for all, and America will never--it seems--get over its racial divides.