Friday, December 07, 2007

365

365 days. Thirty-one-and-a-half million seconds. That's a hell of a lot of "one-one-thousands." I am somewhat pleased.

It is amazing how much has changed in one year.

I feel like I should be happier about meeting this milestone, but, truly, I'm not. It is what it is. A year without an alcoholic drink, a year without a mind-altering hiatus from everyday humdrum-ity. It is but another day. Another step in the journey, and all that happy shit.

Do I miss the drinking lifestyle? In a way, yes. Hell yeah, I do. I miss the pleasing warmth of "checking out." I miss the social sliiiiiiiide of the spirits. I miss the first crisp swallow of a cold Guiness after a long day at work. But, who am I kidding? It was never just one swallow. One swallow begat a hundred more.

And so in a thousand and one more substantial ways, I don't miss the drinking lifestyle. I've said it before: addiction to mind-altering substances affects facets of one's life in a myriad of ways. Here are some of them: physical, mental, emotional, financial, spiritual, legal.

When I wake up these days, I do so without that tight knot in my gut and the haze of Dread across my being. The feeling that I got from not remembering just exactly what had gone down the night before. Even if I spent the night alone in my apartment, methodically cracking and draining aluminum containers of "nectar," I would still wake up with that son-of-a-bitching feeling of Dread. It wasn't a pleasant way to exist.

12 months. 8760 hours.

Later tonight, I'll go to a meeting with my sponsor and he'll stand up in front of the hundred or so people and he'll present me with a one-year token. Tangible proof to myself that I accomplished something that I had thought was virtually impossible a year ago. Believe me, I was in pretty rotten shape.
A tradition upon receiving one of these coins is for other members to ask the "birthday" boy or girl how they did it. "How'd you do it?" they'll ask. Often, people will say things like they let go of their will and let God take over. "Thy will be done, not mine," they'll say. And that's great. But I don't believe that that's all of it.

It's a fascianting phenomenon, really. The cumpulsion to poison myself with toxic (to me) beverages seems to have lifted. I get urges, of course, but it's almost as though I have a truss on my Id, now. It doesn't control me like it once did. I, with the help of the program, control it.

The key is, though, to not get cocky. There is a saying that, while one "recovers," the addiction is in the basement doing pushups, biding its time, waiting to spring at the "afflicted" when he or she least expects it. I buy that. Always in the past, when I went back to the Debbil after a time off, it was--whoosh!--right back on the rocket ship. Fuck that. I have too much to lose.

So, anyway, tonight, when people ask me how I did it, I say that I did it with the help of my sponsor and the belief in a Higher Power. And one day at a time. And I'll add that I was just fed up with the self-mutilation. That self-flagellation was so yesterday, man. That I had to stop dying in order to live.

O! Cliche! How I have come to love you!

19 comments:

Nanette said...

I live for the cliche.

One year of being in control of your addiction, you should be proud--but I can understand that it is just another day.

May you never have to wake up with the tight knot another day.

I tip my coca-cola to you!

Heather said...

Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes. (To quote "Rent.") Congrats.

Laura said...

Congratulations Adam! :D

HopSkipJump said...

It's a bizarre feeling to really have no idea who you are but still feel proud of you.

Congratulations on a milestone.

Jay said...

Great job hitting the one year mark Adam! That's a great accomplishment and very impressive too! You should definitely be proud of yourself.

Sugar Kane said...

I just want to give you a big hug.

Melissavina said...

This is wonderful.
Good job. I hope you squeeze every bit of pride out of today that you can. You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you, another congratulations for defeating the big bad enemy. You deserve 365 hugs and pats on the back...GOOD JOB!

Adamity73 said...

You know what's funny, Nighthawk? At one meeting, a guy--who was obviously a little slow and not quite as mentally developed as the rest of us, kept saying, in a deep booming slurry voice, "Closhay." As in "I live for the closhay." I'm ashamed to admit that I had to keep biting the inside of my cheek--the guy was a long long talker--to keep from bursting out with wild gales of guffaws. Thanks for the Coke tip; I tip my coffee right back to ya.

Tanks, Heathuirnie. =o)

Much obliged, Bunny. Thanks.

Thank you, IF. Cyber space is an oddity, isn't it? When we read someone's work, day after day, it is simply human nature to begin to relate to him or her.

I am pretty proud, Jay. But not *too* proud. ;-)

Go for it, Sugah. I'll never turn down a hug. =o)

MelissaVina: Thanks! Well, actually I didn't really squeeze all that much pride out of this day. I took it off from work--kinda a treat for myself--and I ended up driving 'round town looking for a bowling pro shop that was open and that would redrill a bowling ball for me and then, after having no luck finding such an establishment, lay down on the bed for a 30-minute nap which turned into a three-hour nap. :-O Still a great day, though! =o)

Thanks, Tiz! I'll meet you at the Space Needle for my hugs! =o)

Melissa said...

Adam, you are the best. Is "my heart bursts with pride" a cliche? Or just a really messy explosion?

Irregardlessly (gotcha!), this is a good GOOD day.

xoxo

How could no pro shops be open? This is bowling season!

Adamity73 said...

They all opened at 2:00, Sis, if they opened at all. I'm a-gonna go to-morrow morning, irregardless of my assured weariness. :-| And thanks for the props. I did it all for you. Well, actually, I mainly did it for myself, but you and the rest of the fam dambly heavily weighted the motivation.

Keep yo' heart in one piece, please. :-O

Anonymous said...

Cool, congrats and thanks for sharing! You're obviously working it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Adam, we are so happy and proud of you. one year down and the rest of your wonderful, creative, & compassionate life to go. taking one day at a time seems to be the m.o. for all of us. and it's so nice to have each one of our family sharp and ready to help each other when needed and share in the joys of each other's lives.
hugs and kisses.

Adamity73 said...

Cliche you very much, Izzy. ;-) And thanks.

Boo-Boo: Thanks for that, Ma. =0) One day at a time, indeed. (And who the hell told you I was compassionate, gosh damn it! They're full of it, I tell ya! Full of it!)

;-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, way proud and very impressed! Your grandfathers on both sides never pulled it off ... that is, going a year sober once the "debbil" got 'em ... neither did your grandad's brother. But you did! And none of 'em did a year and day either! You travel new ground for the family, as well as for yourself, every day!

It's been such a treat to read these pieces this year. What a window and thank you for allowing us to look in. You are so honest with yourself, strong, thoughtful, articulate (cat-like grace, in a metaphorical way), and compassionate (yes, of course!). I like the way you step outside what's going on and hold out the very best for yourself ... kind of a deep respect. (hey, that was the thought I was searching for ... of course I love you .... but I have developed a deep respect for you as well)


So know that we're with you, kiddo! Every day, one day at a time. Congratulations on this day and every day you are true to yourself!

Me_Again said...

Ohhhh yeahhhh,
You are definately 'da bomb' =0)
Courageous, wise & all of the above.
*windchimes chime

Adamity73 said...

Gummy: Thank you, sir, very much. Talk about a deep respect...I have oodles of it for you, Mr. Jack-of-All-Trades-Master-of-Them-All. =o)

Meegie: Thanks, babe. Mucho appreciamente.

Anonymous said...

ohhhh now I understand that picture of the pin.... perhaps it pays to read people's blogs sometimes... very good work.. I'm proud of you :)

Adamity73 said...

Thanks, Rumbles! =o)