Tuesday, October 16, 2007

FAILURE IS not AN OPTION...

But I guess it's going to have to be. I have been feeling quite inadequate lately, mainly at work. I just switched departments to the Lines Department (now I'm working with natural gas services and mains) and so there is a lot of training and such because there is a lot of new shit to learn. That is fine. I expect to feel a little overwhelmed, especially because the company (though incessantly preaching, "Safety, safety, safety") seems to think that this is some kind of fucking race to get us to where we fall under the category TMO (trench machine operator). To reach this oh-so glorious pinnacle, we have to go to basic Lines Department training and get our CDL and pass the operator qualification for TMO--in other words, we have to be able to drive the truck and trailer to the job site, with the backhoe, and operate safely and efficiently at the site.

I get that. What I don't get is why, after about three full weeks of actual on-the-job training, we are being pushed through so quickly. When I took my CDL (which I failed) I had only driven the big utility truck and trailer twice. Twice. That's not a whole hell of a lot of experience, you know? To put this three weeks actual on-the-job in some perspective, most of the people in the department had had about six months of experience before they were asked to get their CDL and to pass their TMO training. And some had been in the department for over a year.

So that explains, perhaps, why I didn't pass my CDL on the first try. I had a shitload of trouble backing the thirty-foot trailer, at a 90-degree angle, into a "loading dock," basically eight cones in the shape of a small rectangle, just a little wider than the ass end of the trailer. I chalk that up to inexperience and to the fact that I have never driven a vehicle with a hitch and trailer before I switched departments--I drive a Ford Focus, for cryin' out loud.

That--inexperience--does not explain, however, just why I have been so inept at operating the Ditch Witch and the backhoe at TMO training. Save for one guy who has been in another headquarter's Lines Department for a year and a half and has had much digging experience, we other three (Robert, a girl named Jody from Lansing and myself) are all basically at the same level of expertise. Robert and Jody are doing fine. They have dug their 4x4x4 holes and have moved on to shelving the hole and sloping the hole and on Thursday they will be working on trenching, an operation in which the TMO digs a level ditch about 18 inches in the ground for the purpose of laying a new gas service to a house.

I know what I have to do when I am digging, it's just that the execution, for me, is so difficult. It is both frustrating and irritating and, the last two days, I have left the training grounds pissed off at myself and my glaring ineptitude. I have looked longingly at beer and have quickly looked away. I'm not about to throw away 10+ months of good living just because I am pissed at myself...but the temptation is most definitely there.

At TMO school, there is something called OQing. Basically, it just stands for Operator Qualification, and you can't attain that level until you prove to the qualifiers that you understand the material and are able to meet the basic requirements of the job. My trainer today told me that I won't be OQing on Friday. She and the other trainer want me to continue working on my 4x4x4 holes and my shelving and my sloping and I will be expected to report back to my headquarters on Friday instead of testing my skillz with the Qualifiers. Nice. I feel humiliated and I feel like an inadequate boob.

I am not used to failure. I am used to succeeding. (For the most part and, I guess, everything is relative, no?) So, to recap: I didn't pass my CDL, I will not be OQing for TMO and my Fantasy Football teams are a combined 2-10.

Motherfucking Calgon?! Take me away.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Damn! Sorry to hear that, Adam. You'll get there, and I doubt it will take much longer. No one is perfect right out the gate at everything they try. Forget feeling rushed. The job isn't going anywhere, you're not getting demerits, fuck it. Take your time and pretty soon you'll be 4x4x4ing like you were born to do it.

Jay said...

I agree with Melissa. Just keep plugging along and it will all fall into place and then you'll be rolling along!

I benched Brian Griese for Phillip Rivers and Dante Stallworth for somebody and cost my team 36 points total this last week. I lost by 32. *sigh*

I just don't think I'm doing it right. haha

Anonymous said...

But...you're soooo good at everything (especially, staying sober!). You are intelligent, witty, handsome, and on and on and on and on and...who cares about digging holes with those qualities :-)

Laura said...

You should totally forget about rushing. Maybe it's there fault that your struggling? Expecting someone to to reverse park an 18 wheeler when you've only been inside it twice is way too much. I couldn't reverse park my car the second time I drove it and I have a Nissan. Who cares if everyone else is advancing quicker than you? Everyone goes at there own pace and at least you'll have the advantage of having that wee bit more training and experience. It'll all fall into place, don't worry.

Adamity73 said...

Melmac: Thankee-sai. I actually did better today, but, alas, the dye has been cast. I return to headquarters on Friday. Oh well, what will be, will be. =o)

Jay: Yeah, I hear ya. It's getting better, but my Fantasy teams still blow! I would have won in one of my leagues, this week, had i started Hasselback in the stead of McNabb. But, that's what F. Football is all about: second-guessing oneself. ;-)

Awwww, Meeg, thanks. =o) You light up my life. And I'm not even Debbie Boone!

Bunny of Ostre: Thanks for the sage words, dearie. I think what it came down to was that my ego was bruised and my pride was bumped about. I need to learn to live more humbly, I reckon! :-P Actually, today I am not as pissed off. I dug better holes and I rationalised to myself that it is far from the end of the world (though I might get some good-natured [?] jesting at work because of it). Oh well; I can take it. My shoulders are broad.

Anonymous said...

Dude, stay AWAY from the beer (good job!) and keep your chin up. UP UP UP! You'll pass, give it some time. You'd rather pass knowing that you feel comfortable operating the machinery than not wouldn't you?! Here's to better days!

Nanette said...

Adam! Persistence!

We all can't be first out of the gate on everything. You'll pick it up -at-your-own-pace. Easier said than done for sure, but don't be so hard on yourself.

Adamity73 said...

Tizzy: Beer, bad. Backhoe aptitude, good. ;-) And, yes, safety first.

Nan o' Nighthawkianism: Yeppers. Persist, I shall. It'll be good to get some practice in the field. I mean, I wouldn't want to "pass" the test and then be all clueless around gas mains that are packed with upwards of 60 pounds of pressure (sometimes higher), you know? And...it's my nature to be HARD on myself. Eh-heh-heh-heh-heh. I said "hard on myself."

Thanks for the kind words, Queenie. =o)

Anonymous said...

I'm firmly convinced failure is a "healthy" thing, otherwise Ego would take over.

Get over it bro, you're fine.

Cheers

Adamity73 said...

Sage words, Noc. Thanks.