Tuesday, June 16, 2009

PERSPECTIVE IS EVERYTHING

We get spoiled as adults, I think. Though life can be tough (and often is a bee-yotch), I think that we take for granted the luxuries of life. Take, for instance, the automobile. Most of us have cars, as adults. It is only when they're on the fritz that we truly understand how much of a privilege, how much of a luxury, car ownership is.

My brake lights have been staying on, when the car is in any gear other than Park, for about a month, now. I--and my co-worker--tried installing a new brake switch today and, when that didn't solve the quandary, I drove my little Focus hatchback to the garage after work and dropped it off. I told the uber-sun-touched woman behind the desk what the problem was and then I commenced to hoof it to my house. The garage is located at Nine-and-a-half and Hilton and I live two blocks east of Ten-and-a-half and Hilton. A little more than a mile away. My backpack was slung over my left shoulder and my red plastic Coleman lunchbox was in my right hand.

Now, I used to walk to and from when I was in grade school. 'Twas about a mile from my house. There and back. Two miles a day.

To have never had is far better than to have had and then lost.

Exercise excluded, I think the difference between walking when you're a kid and walking when you're an adult is that you've been conditioned, as a "grown-up", to go from Point A to Point B in as little time as possible. As a kid, you just haven't been initiated into the Kar Klub and so you know not what could be.

Slow it down. Walk it. Right? Well, no. Not really. Actually, I like being able to climb into a wheeled machine and go from Point A to Point B in eight minutes rather than thirty.

But, here's the rub: I like walking, once in a while. The world slows down. I'm not in such a rush. I see things that I'd never have seen had I been behind the wheel. I guess this is kind of akin to taking rural highways on trips rather than bulleting along on the super expressways. You see more of Life.

I'm sorry. I'm taking a simple walk from the garage and turning it into some kind of life experience. It truly wasn't all that. But...it made me think. It stretched my mind, a bit. I didn't see anything special. Nothing to write home about. Though what I saw was Ordinary, seen through a different perspective, it became Extraordinary. [Just a brief interjection, here: "Extraordinary" seems like a misnomer. If something is "extraordinary" would that not mean that it were "ordinary" jacked up; would it not be "ordinary" on steroids? If so, why would that be a superlative? Wouldn't it mean that whatever was just as ordinary, if not more ordinary, as ordinary could be?]

Anyway, things are seen differently through a walker's eyes. Blurs of pedestrians become three-dimensional people. Dogs on the sidewalk become, perhaps, threats instead of four-legged sidewalk canterers. A house's landscaping can be appraised at a more moderate pace. It's actually kind of cool.

This really wasn't meant to be a kind of slow-down-and-smell-the-roses type of post, but I guess it turned into just that.

10 comments:

Heather said...

I used to live so close to the University, and still didn't walk, even though it would've been so good for me. I gotta work on stuff like that! And it really can be a good time to get your head together.

Melissa said...

On the occasions when I've walked to and from the store, I've noticed the same thing. You see more, hear more, smell more. It's good shit, walking.

Lj said...

It doesn't surprise me at all that you had that experience. Awhile back I began walking on a regular basis and things changed drastically for me. It is something that if I can't do every day, I notice a change in my sense of balance, peace of mind, and focus. I feel there were things I was "trying to change" about myself that when I started walking, they changed on their own.

Adamity73 said...

Heather: Yep. It's a good head-clearing exercise, no pun intended.

Missy: And how! =O)

Lori: A good walk is kinda like a good nap, I think, for resetting the mind/body balance. Then again, I could be talking outta my ass! :-P

Suldog said...

Perspective is everything. One man's meat and all that.

You're right about the kids and adults thing. I used to walk about a half-mile to school, no big deal. Now? A half-mile is exercise.

The Girl said...

Hey Adam: How the hell have you been ?

Frank said...

I love walking, especially when I had to walk through downtown to get to my college classes. Now I live in a neighborhood that's not very pedestrian friendly - hardly any sidewalks and no crosswalks. It's kind of depressing, really.

Adamity73 said...

Sully: The half-mile "exercise"! Exactly! Then again, if I didn't smoke like a friggin chimney, it might be easier. :-P

Anti-Mommy Girl: I've been...okay! :-) How've *you* been? I went to your blog recently and it seemed to be shut down. Is that accurate?!

Franklin: Chin up, bucko. A walk is a walk is a walk. Plus? You're an accomplished runner! That should turn your frown upside-down.

gummy said...

Nice. The piece was kind of an amble in it's own way too. I enjoyed it.

Now walking is peculiar ... it's very relative. We walk a lot in Berkeley cuz we can. Lots of cool things pretty close. The video store is only half a mile but seems far since it's uphill on a 4% grade and we do it with the dog at her tree-by-tree pace. Then there's the walk to the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) ... 3/4 of a mile but really fast downhill at 4% cuz I'm always late for work.

Next week I walk 25 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail at about 10,000' elevation with a 35lb pack. Sounds hard but it won't be ... I'm taking 4 days to "amble" along. Easy compared to the 170 miles a I did on the John Muir Trail with a 55lb pack in 17 days and horrible blisters. At that point Susan and Corey joined me and we ambled ... no dwaddled ... along the last 70 miles at 5 mi per day, blisters healed, legs way strong by then. Relative I say!

Adamity73 said...

25 miles with a 35 pound pack?! I say difficult! =o)