Sunday, April 19, 2009

THE STING OF DEFEAT


The first softball game. Nineteen to one. A loss.
Not a good start.


I struck out. Not cool. Next at bat, I ripped one down the left-field line--it landed just foul. Not cool. The pitcher, a 45-year-old with a couple kiddies, spun the next pitch and I popped it up to the third baseman.

Did I mention that the Dirt Dawgz lost by eighteen runs? Yeah.

We did not hit the ball well, we did not field the ball well, and the pitcher walked too many men. Personally, as I said, I did not hit the ball well and, in the field, two balls went over my head that I should have caught.

Long story short: we need to get better, much better. We have a slick shortstop and third baseman and we have an ex-college baseballer on our team, but we need to improve. Expo-fucking-nentially.


5 comments:

Suldog said...

I feel for you, my softball-playing brother. My own post today concerns the sport, too.

Adamity73 said...

I'm going to have to go read it then, Sully. Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully, your team did better than the Dirt Dawgz.

gummy said...

Ouch! The ripped foul hurts toooo much after the SO (been there on the big SO in the big game ... still feel the hurt from '84)! And after the Ditched Witch ... I DO feel your pain. But you gotta like this dude Paul's attitude ... it's all a matter of perspective, no?

"It's the car that got stuck, it's the mud, it's the mud" (Jobim, Waters of March; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zlLGd_70uk)

Adamity73 said...

Gumbo: Yes. You are right. Life is truly a matter of perspective!

+o)

(See?! I'm smilin'! 'Cause i love life!)

=o)

Frank said...

My college's baseball team is, like, 2-20 right now. I think they lost a game against University of Chicago 33-4. It was stopped by some kind of mercy rule, I believe.