Friday, April 13, 2007

PARASKAVEDEKATRIAPHOBIA

Or friggatriskaidekaphobia. I was all prepared to write "or...for short," but, I counted. It turns out that both words are 23 letters in length. Yeah. Jenna Jameson thinks that's a mouthful.
They mean an irrational fear of the day of Friday the 13th. The more-easily uttered triskaidekaphobia (a 17-letter word) denotes an irrational fear of the number 13.

You want to know what I love? Well, I'll tell you anyway. I love the fact that some hotels have no 13th floor. Sure they don't. Sure. So that means, apparently, that where the 13th floor should be is now a blank void? Architect, please...the 14th becomes the 13th. It's all logical...I'd have learned that in Philosophy 101 if I'd not taken every opportunity to skip that damned class.

Jason Voorheis wears a mask on Friday the 13th. It's kind of his way of cutting loose and celebrating the madness. He's funny. I like him. He is simply misunderstood. And that sucks for him.

I have absolutely no paraskavedekatriaphobia. To me, it is just another day, one that was squelched into the mold of a movie and overprocessed 7 times too many. I feel no burden of bad luck on these days. I avoid not black cats and, instead of pinching it in my right hand and throwing it over my left shoulder to stymie the Devil, when I spill the salt, I snort it up, pretend that I'm Tony Montana. That doesn't go over well in the restaurants, but, you know? It is what it is. Say aye'low doo my leetle fren!

I'll go to work today and I'll do my job with no fear of a piano falling on my head from 6 floors above. I do not anticipate walking into an open manhole cover, nor do I have worries about getting smooshed by a bus. I'm fearless, like that.

The 13th is another day. When the 13th falls on a Friday, it is still another day, albeit one that is the gate to the weekend. Whee! Let the hair down, whee.

Now, if my lunch comes to be $6.66, then we're gonna have a problem.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree - that bullshit with no 13th floor? Just cause you dont call it the 13th, doesnt mean that logically it isnt a 13th floor there...
I dont mind friday the 13th either, normally I dont even pay attention to it unless someone 'alerts' me.
Here's to hoping your luch wont be anywhere near the 6.66 ;-)

oh and show me a picture of the inside of your car (NO cleaning up before you do, i wanna see it in all its glory)

Adamity73 said...

A picture of the inside of my car. Gotcha. 'Twill be taken and posted on Flickr within an hour. Which reminds me...I need to go see what your 'fridge looks like. ;-)

Anonymous said...

i looked up the first word in my dictionary and it wasn't there. where did you find it? i think fri.13 dates back to when the knights of templar in all of europe were rounded up and either killed or tortured. and ever since, we rue the day. i must admit, that, even though i don't feel overly superstitious about the day, it does remain in the back of my mind. but today is the 14th and yesterday was pretty nice.

Adamity73 said...

Welcome, buxindi! I found the word on the Wikipedia website. I Googled "triskiadekaphobia" and the alternate words came up.

Yeah, nothing overtly bad happened yesterday for me, either. As for ther Knights of the Templar, sorry to see them go, but they were a pretty cantankerous bunch, anyway.

;-)

Nanette said...

But, if your lunch ends up costing $6.90--party time!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nighthawk: I never knew that twenty-four cents could have such a mood-altering effect! =o)

Anonymous said...

*praying for a price-hike