Friday, November 06, 2009

MEEGIE, MY MASTER MECHANIC

So...here was the situation: my 2002 Ford Focus's left headlamp had burned out. Yesterday, I walked out the door, after work, armed with a screwdriver, ready to make things right...make things...illuminated.

Now, the catch.

You either have to be a rocket scientist (or Meagan) to change the damned lightbulb. I know, I know...how tough could it be? Well.

Like I said, yesterday, I walked out of my door, armed with a screwy, thinking--obviously!--that to change a lightbulb is child's play.

The 2002 Ford Focus is a bitch when it comes to changing bulbs. First of all, it isn't the old-skool way of lighting one's way. You have to pull off a "weather protective" shield--easy--but then you have to, basically, free the burned-out bulb from its shackles by touch alone. It is so inconveniently-situated, it is ridiculous. It's basically upside-down and blind lightbulb-changing.

Some fools on the Internet suggested using a mirror. Hum.

(They were right.)

But I couldn't hack it. I tried (briefly) and then I said fuggit, I'll take it to the Ford dealership, where they would charge me from between $50 and $70 to "get 'er done."

I happened to mention to Meegie that my plan was such, and she blew a gasket.

"Fuck that!" she ejaculated. "No, no way. Uh-uh. That's bullshit."

I said, "But, Meagan, I can't do it. I'll just fuck it up."

"Then I'll do it," she said. And she got off the couch and slipped into her slippers and lit out the door.

I sat there, looking blankly at the front window, thinking to myself, If she does it, again, I may have to become a eunuch. You see, earlier, before I had brought up the imminent rape of myself by the Ford dealership, I had been running water for the dishes. The dishes! And, later, I will pop Ping-Pong balls....

And, when I say, "If she does it again..." it means that she is very very very good at figuring things out. I? I tend to say fuggit and meekly hand my money to the greasemonkeys. Or the geeks. Or the Men-Who-Can-Do-It-All.

Fast-forward.

Meagan took a mirror and a flashlight out to the car. I walked out a minute later to find her fingering the lightbulb encasement.

"It's got a clasp," she said. "I just have to figure out how to unlatch it."

I mentally shook my head. No fucking way. It's impossible. It's bullshit, is what it is. Aloud, I said, "So, how do you want me to hold the flashlight?"

"Wait a minute," she said. "I think I know how to do this."

You have a snowball's chance in Hades of doing this, I thought. I did not think she could do it...again.

Long story.

Short.

She did it. She figured out the Hell-Clasp and she extracted the dead bulb and she figured out how to install the new one and connect it to the wires, and--then!--she figured out how to re-clasp the motherfucking worst idea for a car headlight bulb ever.

(She is reading over my shoulder. She wants me to let y'all know that I had mentioned that, maybe, we should get the bulb in its place before she hooked up the wires. I was just thinking, hell, the clasp is the hardest part. We need no distractions, like wires.)

Yeah.

I'm a boob. I was completely ready to hand $50 to $70 over to Ford mechanics who'd probably have snickered at their rotund snookering of my dumb ass. But! Because of my love, Meegie, I have not to pay for a...listen now...a lightbulb change.

I'm here. I have a dish towel over my shoulder. I am washing dirty dishes. Perhaps, later, I will show you my....

10 comments:

Heather said...

Hey you - get over your antiquated notions of gender bias and competency. Kthxbai :P

Melissa said...

The rear lights are weird too. You have to go in through the hatchback - don't waste time removing the outer light panel (not what it's really called) like I did the first time.

Signed,

Voice of Experience

P.S. Yay for Meagan!

P.P.S. I second Heather.

Adamity73 said...

Heather: Long time, no see name. Welcome back! =0) Yes. That was perhaps a little thick on the 1950s-me-man-you-woman-now where's-my pipe nonsense. At heart, I am Hugh Beaumont. In practice, I am, somewhat, an inept boob at "fixing stuff." Meagan's much better; she's got more verve, more determination. And, gender roles aside, that is a damned good thing.

Voice of Experience: I have had rear problems. (That may have sounded bad.) And, yes, I did the same thing you did. I was amazed at ease of operation when I figured stuff out. (The front lights, though, are designed to sucker money from havenots,; they are anything but easy. Unless you're a Ford master mechanic...like Meegie. =0)

aleximac said...

I totally agree with Heather. Washing dishes require exactly zero estrogen and tends to reflect a desire to eat from clean dishes and has nothing to do with ping-pong balls. Who raised you?

aleximac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aleximac said...

Anyway, good job, Meagan. Peristence pays.

Adamity73 said...

Hi, Alexis! =0)

Love,
Adam

PS--It was meant as a humorous post. I am sorry if people took my comments in the wrong way. It was just hyperbole.

Frank said...

I drive a Dodge Neon, and the headlights are just about impossible to replace without some serious tools and lot of patience.

I've decided that next time a headlight goes out, I'll just buy a new car instead.

Adamity73 said...

Frank, I agree. I think that is what the Makers of Car want us to think: Easy repairs are anything but. I must take car to dealership, and prepare meself for imminent reaming. (Or, as you said, we'll just buy a new car.)

motorcycle custom parts said...

I like this post called "MEEGIE, MY MASTER MECHANIC", is very interesting, I really enjoyed this information!